The best thing to come from this move was the reunion of Mr. Tusks and his brother. Caroline found him in a box with dozens of other stuffed animals, none as important as Mr. Tusk's brother. She came squealing out of the playroom to show me, and at first I didn't realize it was the missing twin, I just thought it was tusks! She giggled and informed me of my mistake and we all rejoiced for the reunion of the brothers!
For anyone who doesn't know the story, when Caroline was about 6 weeks old, Katie came to visit and brought her Mr. Tusks, a little stuffed elephant I think she picked up at a Walgreens! He quickly became the special friend, so we started a search for an "emergency replacement". Many friends and family members tried and failed to duplicate (although we now have a wonderful collection of the softest bunch of elephants to play with). I searched the internet and every shop we went into, nothing. So I googled the name of the company, found a contact there and sent them a picture of the very loved Tusks to see if they could help me locate another. They had indeed stopped manufacturing our friend, but they had one left at their headquarters that they were happy to send us if we would just pay for shipping. NO PROBLEM!!
Within a week, we had the emergency Tusks, but no note for the shipping charge. We tucked him away, out of sight from Caroline and went about life.
At the end of the month, I got a bill from DHL for $95!!! They had express shipped our little friend from Hong Kong!!! I've since filed that bill away to pull out when I need a good guilt trip.
Well sure enough, we eventually lost Mr. Tusks, and after looking for him for about 3 weeks, I decided it was time to pull out the replacement. Caroline could of course tell the difference, but we called him Mr. Tusk's brother and she seemed happy. And of course we found the original only a few days later. So the two lived happily for some time, until we lost the brother. We looked everywhere, I even offered the movers a $20 bonus to anyone who found him when they packed us out of Chicago...nothing still.
We had written him off as on vacation, the black sheep of the family that had moved to the caribbean to become a scuba instructor, or he had gone to the moon and would be back someday, far away. So you can imagine our joy when he finally returned to us! Welcome back Mr. Tusk's Brother!!
3 comments:
How cute is that?!? You can always say the brother had moved to Kuwait earlier to make sure it was fun enough!!!
Maybe he just hated Chicago winters and preferred the Kuwait heat!
I admit it. I took Mr. Tusk's brother. Yes that's right it was me. While you were all diligently packing, I hopped a plane to DC, put on a ski mask, crept inot your home and snatched him away for a quick holiday to the carribean. He actually was a very good scuba diver but realized that the 4 hours in the sun it took to dry him off just wasn't worth it. there goes that pipe dream. Anyway, after a few frozen drinks and a tequila contest(he won)I hopped a plane to Kuwait, put on a burka, hid MTB underneath, crept into your house again and left him for Caroline. Man those burkas are hot. Won't try that again.
Lots of love.
Katie
Seriously, I'm belly laughing out loud!! How great Mr. Tusks and brother are together again!! $95 - oh my!! What did Eric say? Rich would've killed me!! Glad your family is back in tact!!
Post a Comment